Let's see... first there was Janine and Emily's combined birthday party. Jessica made home-made donuts and Melissa hosted. I don't remember much about the evening because I was in a sugar coma.
Then I went to a luncheon about Germany in Afghanistan at the Hotel Washington downtown and there was a great view of the White House.

Next I went with a friend from work, Constance, to see the festival of lights at the Washington DC temple. The lights are beautiful and we were able to attend a hand bell choir concert. I am absolutely AMAZED at the hand bell players. You have to have such perfect rhythm and concentration! It was fabulous!



On the 16th I celebrated my birthday. I went with friends to the Cheesecake factory. I got chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake and was barely able to eat 5 bites. It was so rich but SO GOOD! Then the day after both Kami and Jessica made me birthday cakes and many of my friends came by to wish me well.
Last Friday I met up with Jessica and Genevieve in DC and we went to see the national Christmas tree. We high-tailed it out of the city around 6, went to dinner in Shirlington, and then headed home to watch "A Boyfriend for Christmas". We made it home just in time, because by the time the movie was over, there was already a nice coating of snow outside.
That brings me to the "Winter Storm of 2009" or the "Winter Wallop", if you will. (I love how the weather channel names these things) Starting Friday night and lasting until early Sunday morning we had non-stop snow. The flakes were all really tiny so I was amazed at how quickly they turned into 15 inches of snow!!




Jessica and I were feeling cooped up, so we ventured out into the snow early Saturday afternoon and walked over to the Giant across the street to buy eggnog, hazelnut creamer for our hot chocolate, butter, and eggs. You know, all the essentials. On the way back from the store we found a prime piece of "snow-angel" land, so we sat our groceries in a snow bank and made snow angels. After that, we could not be stopped. We walked around the complex and threw snowballs at each other, our neighbors, and several windows and doors and we got into a snow ball/snow arm full fight with Kurt. I just want to say that I have REALLY good aim with a snowball.

Jessica's Snow Angel
Jenny's Snow Angel


The rest of Saturday was spent in doors and then Sunday church was cancelled, so I also spent the day in doors. I am pretty sure I have seen every Christmas movie and special ever filmed. By the time Monday rolled around I was ready to get out of the house, so I accompanied Jessica on some errands and then tried to shovel the snow in front of the garage door, which the landlords apparently didn't think they needed to worry about, but which was causing some major problems. It just felt good to get out of the house! I love snow when it is falling and just after it has fallen, but then it looses its charm and just becomes annoying and gross. My car was completely buried by the snow, so I just left it there and I figure that by the time I get back home, it will be free again... I hope.

This is just the beginning. The snow plows went through and piled all the snow from the road up against the driver's side of the car and the street shoveller piled snow on the passenger's side. You literally couldn't even see my car. Jessica was super nice and at least brushed the snow off the top.
Now I am in Houston - no snow and a balmy 61 degrees! I love Texas!! Merry Christmas!!
1 comment:
I am glad you are on your way home for Christmas. There are lots of people who are still stuck at airports. I hope you don't get stuck.
I love the snow pictures. I miss the snow!! I don't think I have ever seen pictures of the DC temple at Christmas time. It is beautiful.
Happy Belated Birthday!! I really did think of you on your birthday, but Eliza was a little bit under the weather that day and I didn't get much done except hold her.
Have a Merry Christmas!! WE love you!
Post a Comment