Sunday, August 15, 2010

August Garden Update

So I have good news and bad news. Let's start with the bad news: vegetable borers (nasty worms and bugs) got to my squash, cucumber, and zucchini in containers. I couldn't see them from the outside, but all of a sudden the plants started to yellow and wither. Upon closer inspection I could see that the bugs had bored into the stems and eaten them up until they were hollow. Also they crazy hot weather was too much for our green beans and they withered too. I was sad, but for me this is just a hobby. It made me realize that there are people out there whose livelihoods and families' lives depend on their crops and something like a little bug can be absolutely devastating and leave them with nothing. We are very blessed in this country.

Before


After


On the bright side, I am very glad that I decided to plant my extra seedlings in the planter by our door rather than throw them away. They are thriving and taking over all of the bushes that management has planted. The zucchini is taking over half of the walkway. I hope my neighbors don't hate me!





My upside-down tomato plants are doing really well too, but the tomatoes seem to be staying green and growing very slowly... I'll have too google and see if that is normal.



My basil is seriously thriving! I cleaned all the leaves off of them to make homemade pesto and they were full and bushy again within a week!

I have really enjoyed having a garden and LOVE getting to harvest and eat the veggies I grow! :) It is a lot of work, but I like having something to care for and work on and look forward to!

2 comments:

The Shirleys said...

It seems like the tomatoes are green for a long time before they ripen on the first go round. I don't know why. They do look really good. I still remember that omlet you made for me. mmmm!

Stevens Family Recipes said...

I am so jealous of your garden! It looks way better than mine and this is my third year working at it. They are tons of work but fun. I made some delicious fresh salsa out of mine today and it made all of the work worth it. I miss you tons Jen and I am glad to see you are doing well.

Roberta