Thursday, June 12, 2008

Baltimore and Annapolis... I love Maryland!!

Well, summer is off to a good start! It has been ridiculously hot here and our air conditioner wasn’t working, but that’s all fixed now and I’m cool as a cucumber. I have been looking at a few other blogs today and have realized that my blog is kind of more like a journal or a scrapbook than anything, but the whole reason I put it up was for my friends and family to see what I’m up too, so I guess that makes it just right!!

So, just after I got back from my brother’s wedding I went with some friends to Baltimore to visit the Little Italy section of town. We went out for some authentic Italian food at Amiccis and it was… authentic. No, really, it was amazing. I got Gnocchi and Janine even helped me to pronounce it correctly. Then we played some Bocce ball on the local courts, had some locals show up to watch us and cheer us on, and got some professional training from an 11 year old named Angelo Pizza who plays on the adult bocce ball team there. After that we grabbed some ice cream and pignoli cookies (recommended by Angelo) and just strolled around Baltimore’s inner harbor and watched a street performer.










Then Memorial Day rolled around. While others were off at Duck Beach or Deep Creek Lake, Maryland, Emily and I opted for a quiet day in Annapolis, MD. It was a beautiful day and there still weren’t too many people in town so not only did we find good parking, it was FREE! We headed straight to the visitors center to get a map and the little old ladies there greeted us with exciting news: that very day the great entertainer, Pat Sajak, a Vietnam veteran, was in town to lead the Memorial Day Parade. That’s right, you heard me, we saw Pat Sajak.


Emily and I were actually super excited about the bag pipers and even more excited about the military band… there’s nothing like a man in uniform!! You think I’m waiving my flag excitedly because I’m patriotic, really it’s just because I was excited about all those officers (mid-shipmen)… I guess that could be considered patriotic too, right?



After the parade we headed down to the bay for a boat ride where we got majorly sunburned and then had a nice lunch. I decided that since I was on the Chesapeake Bay I should get seafood, so I ordered crab balls, which are just a smaller version on Maryland’s famous crab cakes. When I told my dad what I had ordered all he could do was laugh and asked me if they were anything like Rocky Mountain Oysters. Silly dad!


After lunch we headed to the best part of the trip: The US Naval Academy. OK, OK, it’s not just the uniforms that drew us over there. The campus is beautiful and you really do gain such a respect for those people who defend our country and who sacrifice so much for us. After some reflection on these things we did get right to the business of finding us some men, though.



I hope you enjoyed seeing all those pictures of me with long hair, because it is gone now!! I totally chopped it and it looks great… or at least that’s what everyone tells me. J I’m sure you’ll be seeing it in my upcoming posts.

2 comments:

The Shirleys said...

Wow! YOu have had some fun!! I haven't been doing too well keeping up in the blogging world, but I am working on it again.

I again about the men in uniform thing. Andy just sent me some pictures of him in uniform. I think he looks really hot, but my sisters think he looks just "Okay." Maybe it is just that I miss him.

I am sure you look great with short hair. Then again you always look great!! We miss you! :)

Brad & Darcy Ellis said...

I just have to say I am extremely jealous of your little Italian excursion! I wish we had something that close for me to visit every once in a while. All we have here is Mexico. You look like you are having such a great time out there! Keep it up cause you deserve it!
miss ya~