Saturday, July 26, 2008

As American as it Gets

So I had my whole weekend planned: do some laundry, wash my car, grocery shop, sit around and stare at the walls in my room – sounds great right? Well, all that went right out the window when Kami, Diana, and Wayne invited me to join them on a little excursion to Delaware – I have great friends!

After work we hopped into my zippy little Toyota Corolla (let me tell you, this thing gets great gas mileage) and set out. We headed out of the busyness of the city and within an hour we were in the cornfields of Delaware – Delaware… who knew? I love DC, but it was like a great weight was lifted off my shoulders and I wanted to shout and sing (which we did, thank you Keith Urban).
Our fist stop was the Delaware state fair… let’s just say we would hardly wait to get in! We fought off hunger pangs and dragged ourselves away from the food stands and rides so that we could catch the rodeo – what does a Texan love better than a rodeo? (well, a lot of things, but I have to maintain my image, so the correct answer is nothing) My favorite part of the rodeo was the boy with his trained horse Trigger who did tricks. I still have a hard time with the calf roping… what can I say?... I’m a tree hugger at heart.

After the rodeo we headed out to the double wide trailer on display – it was such a magnificent display of architecture that Kami and Wayne decided to get married then and there so that they could buy one of their own and settle down right on the fair grounds.

Next we set out to see what kinds of grease soaked delicacies we could purchase and clog our arteries with. Diana and Wayne went for Corndogs, Kami and I got Gyros. Wayne went all out and bought himself a fried Twinkie. I tried some and here’s my assessment: a lot of hype about nothing… it tasted like a greasy Twinkie. We also allowed ourselves to indulge in some homemade root beer… the lady at the stand thought Wayne was cute, so she gave us some samples without us even asking… work it, Wayne. I got Birchbeer… different, good.

After strolling through the barns and rows of livestock we checked out all the rides, but nothing really caught our fancy, so we headed to the Super 8 motel where Kami proved just how good of a friend she really is. Fortunately she used Diana’s toothbrush, not her own, to do the job.

Saturday we headed to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware after a quick stop at the SUPER (I repeat SUPER) Wal-Mart. (Gotta get your white trash on somehow, right?) The beach was great, the air was warm and dry, and the water was cold… could I ask for more… I think not. We met up with a bunch of other people from our ward for a lovely day of tanning, chatting, swimming (I ended the day spitting rocks and sand out of my mouth after getting taken under by a wave), and volleyball (Eat it Aggies!!). Unfortunately I came home with a 2nd degree sunburn and am literally crispy fried, but I guess you have to make some sacrifices if you want to have the perfect day, right?



We ended the day with a relaxing drive home through the country, a stop at a produce stand, and a shower. Then to show just how hard-core we really are we went to see The Dark Knight at 10:50 PM.
In the end I just have one word to say… legen-dary!!

4 comments:

Team Palin said...

Jenny,
I hope you are feeling better....my skin is still falling off from my sunburn.
Also...the fried Twinkie was awesome!! Maybe you are lacking a certain white trash gene.

Kami said...

Haha...I too am feeling the effects of the sun. Goodbye beautiful brown tan! Legen-dary indeed. Great weekend (and great post)

Unknown said...

you have a blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!this is great!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Shirleys said...

HOw fun! We have gotten a few sun burns since arriving in Cali too. That sun can really fool you!

I love the pictures of your trip. I am glad you have so many great friends to take care of you out there.

We love you!