Thursday, March 19, 2009

A much needed vacation

About a month and a half ago I was looking at air fare prices to Germany, like I do every day on my lunch break. After several discouraging searches, I decided to enter in the dates of a trip to Utah I had been thinking about, but decided I couldn’t afford. The first tickets came up in the $200 range, then a few around $190, then the price dropped to $165 – my jaw dropped accordingly and with a quick click of my mouse, the ticket was mine! So last week I set out for my friend (aka adopted sister) Bethany’s wedding. Added bonus: by not telling her sister Karrie about it, I could make it into a surprise visit – I LOVE surprises!

I had a really great trip! It was pretty busy though too – full of visits with my brother and his wife, high school friends, mission friends, professors, new friends, and my adopted family! I also took special care to visit all of my old haunts, including CafĂ© Rio (way better than Costa Vida – that’s right, you heard me!).

My favorite part was just being able to have lots of little kids around me and to see a big family at work! It amazes me how well kids can focus and listen when they feel like they have a responsibility to fulfill and have the support of siblings and cousins to do it. Also, it was awesome to see how fast the kids have all grown and to meet the ones who were born since I left.

I had really been missing Utah and all of my friends and family the last few months, but I feel at peace after leaving. I loved living there and I miss everyone I have left behind, but there is also a lot of happiness in progressing in our lives, and if we cling too hard to things, people, places, etc. we miss the joy of new people and places. Moral of the story – moving on hurts, but it is good for us.

There are about a million stories to tell from this trip, but I already wrote, like, 12 pages in my journal, so I’m not really feeling up to writing any more. Goodness knows I like to talk though, so if you need the details, call me up! These pictures should tide you over.

P.S. A big THANK YOU to everyone who made my trip so wonderful!!

Manti Temple


Bethany and Tori - the happy couple



Meghan and Rorie


Bradley - he was being bashful,
so we told him NOT to smile and this is what we got.


Hayden - we didn't have to ask him to smile,
he KNOWS he's a good-lookin' kid.


The Little Ladies


Abby


Darcy, Karrie, and me


Disgusting, Disturbing... Classic!


Bradley


Mt. Timp


Up Provo Canyon

4 comments:

THE BELL HOUSE BLOG said...

Thanks for making us a stop on your wonderful trip! We loved the Thank You card you are too kind we were grateful to have you!

Brad & Darcy Ellis said...

Girl it was so great to see you!! I wish we could make those trips more often! P.S. I stole some pic from the blog cause as you know I forgot my camera :) Love ya!

The Shirleys said...

I am so glad you surprised me! It had been too long since I had seen you last. HOpefully we will remedy that next year!!

Emily said...

Sounds like it was so fun, and you have the most expressive face ever! I absolutely love it, and all of your eyebrow praise is well deserved I might add. Maybe next time you come out west we can both make it to Utah the same weekend... or maybe I'll just have to come out to DC!

PS the word I have to type for verification is mensbums. Just FYI