After several chastisements I am posting to my blog. I will try to post more often now!! There have been several requests, and I decided to tackle this one first: What in the world is "Quatsch?!" Those of you who speak German are probably smiling right now, and those of you who know Marco Menning are probably laughing..... for the rest of you I will explain.
Quatsch is pretty much THE BEST word in the entire German language. I feel that the most common translation is balderdash, but others include: baloney, codswallop, hogwash, hooey, jabberwocky, malarky, poppycock, rubbish, and tommy-rot. Please see the LEO Online Dictionary for other variations. :) I guess I just like the word because it is the kind of thing that you can't say in English without getting a funny look, but in German you can say it all the time and it's totally normal ..... plus I am just obsessed with German and I seem to like all of their words best. I chose it as the name of my blog because it really is one of my favorites and because it is unique and different..... and also because a lot of the stuff I write is "total Quatsch"!
Family Christmas Letter
6 months ago
2 comments:
Love that word too! I also love "doch."
So glad to see a new post!
Quatsch! We think everything you write is practically scripture:) okay, so we at least think it is very important. Thank you for explaining the meaning. I like that word too. If only I knew how to pronounce it!)
Post a Comment