First of all, Since my breakthrough when I read the glass castle I have been reading like crazy. I will give you links so you can read what the books are about, because it would take WAY too long for me to summarize each one.
My favorite of all the books I have read so far has been a tree grows in brooklyn. I love how honest and real it is. I love the struggle and the support of family portrayed in it. I would say it is one of my all time favorites: read it! (I would say it is for 16 yr olds and up)
Next I started the color purple which is really good, but not for the faint of heart. I would not recommend it for high-schoolers or even adults who lack maturity :). It is pretty graphic, but I don't mind it so much because it is about portraying the reality and consequences of abuse and racism, not sensationalism. I haven't finished it though because I decided to take a breather so I could have a less burdened frame of mind when I went to my brother's wedding. :)
Then I read the memory keepers daughter which was good, but not fantastic. It was written in emotion rather than action, which should have appealed to me as a woman, but I felt like it was such a deep issue that the book still only scratched the surface. Don't get me wrong, it was a good book, you should still read it.
Then I read the secret life of bees, which was excellent, but too short for my liking. I would have liked to learn more about the characters and the bond between the women. Again, read it!!
Now I am working on a book that we have in the office that we give to our interns as a gift. It is called the lost painting and the interns always ask what it is about and I can never give an answer, so I thought I would read it so I can give an honest and informed answer.
Aside from all my reading I went camping with some friends in a place called Prince William Forrest Park. It was great. It is just a half an hour from where we live and though it is actually not that far from urban areas, it seems like you are in the middle of nowhere.
I also went to my brother's wedding in San Diego, California - pictures and a blog will be forthcoming - and have taken up tennis. The racquetball courts here are few and far between, and when you do find one they are phenomenally expensive to use, whereas there are TONS of free tennis courts all over our county. Again, I'm no pro, but I sure enjoy it!!
Sorry that this post is so business like... but I needed to get all y'all caught up. (P.S. this is the grammatically correct way to say "you all". All y'all is plural and y'all is singular. Ask any Texan, they'll tell you.)

1 comment:
YOu have been a busy girl! I was excited to hear that Rob was getting married. Is it the same girl he baptized?
Post a Comment